In 8th grade English, students are in the middle of their Art/English collaborative project, Call and Response. In Art, students chose a piece of art from a wide range of museums, and then for English class, they wrote a story inspired by that image. Next, students will read a story written by another student and create an original piece of art inspired by that story.
In English, students practiced:
- Identifying and using a wide range of brainstorming techniques
- Dropping the reader into a scene
- Writing dialogue that moves the story forward
- Creating a story with a complete narrative arc
- Giving and receiving effective feedback
8th graders wrote compelling, imaginative stories. The stories and images will be displayed in the hall once this project is finished. I hope you have a chance to take in their fantastic work. Here’s to the 8th graders demonstrating so many of our core values, from confidence to creativity!