The Explorer West art program is designed to inspire students' love of art. This means helping students:
- Explore a comprehensive curriculum of 2- and 3- dimensional art materials and techniques
- Become confident artists
- Go out and seek creative experiences in the community
- Learn how to interpret and discuss works of art
- Be inspired to make art at home in their free time
- Keep visual journals of their experiences, travel, and feelings
One of the art program’s objectives is to create art-literacy: the ability to understand and discuss art. This includes the students’ own art as well as that created by others, past and present. Through positive reinforcement, students are encouraged to think and feel like creative beings who are capable of expressing themselves in the visual language of art. Art teaches students to seek solutions, rather than focus on problems. Every student has their artwork displayed in the hallways.