Explorer West Middle School hires faculty and staff who are committed to working with middle school students and the school's mission.
Seeking qualified Outdoor Educators for our 2021 programs. Our fall programs will start with a prep day on September 14, 2021. Trips will run overnight from September 15-17. The programs are designed to lead our 6-8th grade student population through a mix of backpacking, camping, hiking, trail work, and other experiences that will take students to various locations around Washington State, including The Olympic Peninsula, The North Cascades, and Mount Rainier.
Additional work opportunities may be available in the winter and spring for exceptional educators.
Adventure is inherently risky, but it can open up a world of confidence-building and self-reliance when properly managed. The top priority for any outdoor adventure educator is always the safety of the participants with risk assessment, management, and prevention.
Some of the skills you will have the opportunity to develop with students include:
- Communication and teamwork
- The art of camping
- Decision-making skills
- LNT/backcountry ethics
- Assisting with outdoor service projects
- Following an itinerary
- Implementing brief integrated curriculum lessons with a faculty co-leader.
In-depth knowledge of all these skills is not required, but understanding basic camping routines and team/group dynamics is required.
- Availability on Field Dates:
- Prep Day Tuesday, September 14, 2021 (Approximately 7 AM-5 PM)
- Additional orientation meetings (in-person or virtual) may be scheduled as needed
- Trip Days September 15-17, 2021 (Wednesday-Friday) (Overnight trips, must be available for the entire date range)
- First Aid and CPR certifications (minimum)
- Experience working with youth (preferably middle-school-age)
- Diverse outdoor experience
- Pass Washington State Patrol and OSPI fingerprint background checks
- WFA, WFR, or higher medical certification
- Experience teaching LNT and other wilderness outdoor skills
- Experience leading overnight trips in the above regions
- Experience leading overnight trips with middle-school-age populations
- Driving record (at school's expense) and willingness to drive a 7-, 12-, or 15-passenger van
Pay for the fall program ranges from $160 – $190 per day, depending on experience for three (3) field days and $90 per day for orientation and prep days.
All outdoor educator positions are open until filled.
All outdoor educators are paid immediately upon successful completion of trips or camps.
You can learn more about Explorer West and our Outdoor Education Program here.