Explorer West Middle School is located in a neighborhood bordering on West Seattle, White Center and Burien.
The Explorer West board, faculty and staff make strategic investments in the facility to ensure that the entire campus is designed to support the academic and social needs of the students, while also reflecting the school’s focus on sustainability.
Students and visitors are welcomed to the school’s main entrance with a forest-inspired green space that includes paths, seating areas and small vignettes of regional plants.
Our main building is comprised of administrative offices, eight large classrooms, and a gymnasium. Each student has their own locker and passes between rooms to their scheduled classes.
Our school has:
- Dedicated music room and additional practice space.
- Drama room has a stage, complete with full stage lighting and multiple costume and prop racks.
- The gymnasium is used for Physical Education classes and other group gatherings throughout the year. A new gym floor was installed in 2017.
- Four portables behind the school are used as outdoor education gear libraries and storage areas.
- Outside play court with basketball nets and two playfields where students can relax, play or connect with friends.
- Teachers often bring the students outside to use open space surrounding the main building as an extension of their classrooms.
- “No Idling” signs and monitoring during drop-off and pick up in both parking lots.
- Comprehensive recycling and composting programs on campus.