Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion at Explorer West
Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity at Explorer West
As a community, we believe these values make us stronger. Our Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Board Committee has examined many facets of our school to further our vision and missions:
Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Vision To create a community that is diverse, inclusive, and affirming to everyone. Explorer West works thoughtfully and continuously to live the values of respect, equity, inclusion, and diversity so that everyone feels welcomed and valued.
Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Mission: To be a community in which all members have a voice, are given respect, and see their identities reflected and affirmed in the curriculum, activities, and physical and virtual environments of the school.
In the 2020-2021 School Year:
- Faculty and staff completed anti-racism workshops with Re-Set School and Courageous Conversations
- Faculty and staff formed an Anti-Racism Taskforce to address inequities in our classrooms and curriculum.
- Curriculum content was reviewed and refreshed to represent a broad range of perspectives and experiences.
- The EDI Committee created an anti-bias vocabulary to be shared with our community.
- We established an Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion feedback form as part of our weekly bulletin to families.
In the 2019-2020 School Year:
- The EDI Committee completed a “Diversity Walk” to look at the school from different perspectives, and make recommendations about the school’s environment that would feel more welcoming to everyone. Some of the recommendations include:
- Highlight Heritage Months, led by students
- Increase accessibility for community members with physical challenges
- More Diverse posters and photos in classrooms
- Multilingual Signs
- We added a one-to-one Chromebook program to ensure all students had access during remote learning.
- The EDI Committee reviewed our Student-Family Handbook from an equity lens.
- Barbara Frailey, our Head of School, began compiling Weekly Summer Antiracism Resources from Explorer West.
- Students established Skittles, the Gender-Sexuality Alliance student club
- Explorer West adopted a pride flag in West Seattle Junction