Last week we had two girls’ basketball games. We fell short against Seattle Country Day by a score of 34 – 18 and also barely lost to Billings middle school by a score of 16 – 12. However, in both cases, it really came down to one player that was a big scorer for the other team that made all the difference in the game. So if you take out that one player, it would have been a much different outcome.
Spring Sports Sign-ups
These are the sports coming up starting the week of March 21:
- Tennis: Practices Tuesdays and Thursdays with Coach Alex Ung and Terra Yara. Practices are held at Walt Hundley courts and Riverview courts. 3:45 – 5:00p. Coaches will take vans to the practice sites.
- Track: Practices TBD with coach Trevor Kaine. Practices are held at school and at Southwest Athletic Complex. 3:40 – 5:00p. Coach will take a van to Southwest Athletic Complex.
- Ultimate: Practices Wednesdays and Fridays with Terra Yara. Practices are held at Explorer West South Field. 3:40 – 5:00p.
Please let Terra know if your child is planning on playing on one of the Spring teams.
As you know, at Explorer West, students are encouraged to try a new sport or continue with one they already know. There is currently no charge for the Explorer West Athletics program. However, the costs to provide the program are growing. We are not charging a participation fee but invite families who can make a contribution to offset the costs of coaches, equipment, officials, and transportation. A suggested amount for the season is $120, but any amount will help. The Athletics program has a no-cut policy, and no previous experience is required – every student is encouraged to try Athletics!
For After School Athletics payments online, use this link:
This Week in Sports:
Tuesday – 3/7/23
- Girls’ Basketball practice
- 3:45 – 5:00 pm at the Explorer West gym.
Thursday – 3/9/23
- Girls’ Basketball game vs. Billings Middle School
- 4:00 – 5:00 pm at the White Center Salvation Army.
Next Week in Sports:
Tuesday – 3/14/23
- Girls’ basketball game vs. Seattle Girls School
- 4:00 – 5:00 pm at Garfield Community Center, 2323 E. Cherry St., Seattle, WA 98122