Science – main program elements by grade
,Focus on the fundamentals of physical and chemical science, designing and conducting experiments, forming reasonable conclusions based on data, building models (including designing, building and testing snowshoes).
Focus on life on Earth and how the diversity of life is connected to the conditions in which it evolved. 7th Grade science also includes units on biology, genetics, the human body and reproduction. Projects include building cell models and virtual dissections.
Focus on the structure of the earth, history of volcanoes and earthquakes in the Pacific Northwest, explore the beginnings of our solar system and galaxy, use tools such as our weather station, telescopes, and microscopes, connect scientific understanding to making sustainable choices. Projects include building a desalination plant.
The Science curriculum imparts students with a strong foundation in the scientific content necessary to understand how their world works and to make educated decisions that are affected by this knowledge.
These goals include:
- Students will be able to recall essential information to piece together a system from its components and put them back together logically step-by-step to understand the whole.
- Students will recognize that scientific understanding is dynamic and open to revision and even complete disposal when discoveries are made.
- Students will understand and apply the Scientific Method as a critical step toward becoming scientifically-literate citizens. Using the Scientific Method, students create experiments, follow them to logical conclusions, and then present their findings in written and oral formats.
- Students should use scientific information to draw connections between scientific concepts and their practical applications.
- Students will recognize that there are moral and ethical boundaries surrounding scientific testing and the application of new understandings.
- Students will develop the necessary skills to succeed in an academic setting: organization, written and oral communication, problem-solving, reflection, consistent study habits, and respect for the learning environment.
- They will be prepared for high school science, the majority at an advanced level.
- The science curriculum also has goals related to sustainability (Meeting our needs without impeding the ability of future generations to meet their needs). The three major components of sustainability: society, environment, and economy lend themselves to direct investigation and application in science.